Some Notes from CNE 2012

So Michelle and I went to the CNE on Friday night (ahead of going camping for the weekend), and I actually had a much better time this year than the last few.

I think once you learn to expect, and appreciate what it really means to an adult, you can have a good time.

Gone are the days where I went for the rides, or the games where I could win 20 cent stuffed toys for $10.00 of playing, and welcome are the days where you can go and check out some crazy food choices, and flea market-like shopping in a fun atmosphere at a historical location.

Here are some of my highlights from this year:



  • Every year, I like to try one crazy thing...and even though I'm trying to eat a littler healthier, I had to break that goal by torturing my body. There was a LOT of bacon goods - as Michelle's sisters boyfriend said this weekend "Bacon is the duct tape of food". I decided to steer clear of all the oil, and deep fried though, and went for something a little crazier...

The sign at the Maple Lodge stand in the food building
Yeah, that's a hot dog...in an eclair as a bun, with whipped cream on top. At first, the taste was a shock..but I got over it...I recommend at least trying it.
Ontario Place's 'swan song' so to speak
  • If you went to the CNE this year, you saw these swans - and maybe recognized them? Well, if you had ever gone to Ontario Place prior to it closing down this year, you might remember them as the swans you could pay to ride through the rivers and streams that stretched the grounds. The CNE inherited them as a parting gift of a very one-sided relationship between the two places.

  • Speaking of a blast from the past, the CNE had a new ride this year that I would have actually paid for (had Michelle and I not had free passes). The Sky Ride is actually an old ride, one that's been gone from the CNE for 18 years - and now back with a vengeance. The lineup was long, which tells me it's popular, but nobody minded, which tells you it's good. It takes you from one end of the park to the other, and at the very least, gives you a great view of the city and lets you skip the crowds of the midway on your way out.

  • Nothing new about the sales and flea markets in the Direct Energy Centre - crazy, cheap products..I walked away with a new wallet for 12 bucks.
  • The Farm building is the same as always too, but still a favourite. The butter sculpture of Rob Ford reading while driving was definitely nice to see.
  • Everything else was status quo, and although we probably didn't even touch the surface of what we could have done, I don't see anyone leaving the CNE unhappy...even if you were grumpily convinced to ride your bike there by your girlfriend...
 At least I worked off a bit of that eclair hot dog...

0 thoughts: