Stickin' it to the LCBO

I'll be honest - I personally like the LCBO system - you know you're getting the best (albeit not good) price, and it brings millions and millions of dollars into the economy and public programs every year. That said - sometimes I don't want to get gouged just because I want a drink.

I've been making beer at home for a few years now - I bought the Mr. Beer kit a few Christmases ago, and brewed my self-named, 'not-so-famous' Red Beard brew a few times.
My first ever home-brewed beer. It was...okay


Changed the name this time

This year though has already started off bigger and more grandiose. I have both a batch of French Pinot Noir on the go at "The Wine Butler" and a batch of Canadian Ale already bottled in our dining room. We might just become alcoholics in 2013, and by we, I mean me, because Michelle doesn't drink wine or beer.








So how much do you save by brewing yourself? Well, I consider it significant.



The wine making was a gift, but groupons and other group deal websites pop up all the time in the 70 dollar range (in fact here's one that's available now). A batch makes about 30 bottles - so you're looking at under $2.50 per bottle. You're not getting anything vintage or fancy, but if you enjoy wine, and want something more personal - the cost is just an added bonus.


The beer is a bit more of a process - I won't get into it in this post, but lets assume you have all of the (inexpensive) equipment. A quick brew kit (which is pretty much the hops and barley already malted together), will run you about $20 at any given store. This batch makes you about 20-23 litres depending on how you brew it. Do the math with me now - a standard beer bottle holds 341 mL - so you'll take away approximately 60 bottles of your own beer. That's under 50 cents per beer.

So, is it worth it for you?

Maybe, maybe not. But the next time you're at my house, remember to not feel too special when I serve you a fancy looking glass of wine or beer.

If you're interested more in the process of wine or beer making - check out my guide on homebrewing and the best places to go in Toronto to get everything you'll need to start (to be added soon). For more on the wine, I'll post a review  when it's done in six more weeks.

Also - if you don't recall - I also tried to distill my own rum with my buddy Ben a while back - to see how that went, check out my post here

Cheers

Deric

0 thoughts: