A Streetcar named Desire: my argument against change

Okay, so my title is a bit dramatic - I think the new streetcar fleet looks great - modern, larger capacity vehicles are just what we need on the lines that support streetcars. Sure I don't like the seating arrangement on the new cars, and sure I still think that streetcar routes could use less stops - but overall, I support the change.

The new kid in town...

What I do think however, is that Toronto needs to exploit its history a little better to tourists, and within. Streetcars are very niche, and people enjoy seeing them when they come into town. For the same reason they enjoy riding the 'trolleys' in San Francisco - they enjoy riding them here. Did you know that a few of the still-operational trolleys in San Fran are actually old PCC cars that Toronto sold off? Why hasn't our great city promoted our once best-in-class system? Hell - even San Francisco is recognizing Toronto more than it's recognizing itself...

Now, I'm not saying we should keep all the old cars operational, but what about on weekends, having one or two of the old fleet (both the PCC and current CLRV vehicles) running at scheduled times along the well-known 501 route. Charge a little more than regular fair, and have a tour-guide giving history and facts about the TTC and the route, to those who got on (and off) the car.

The old PCC TTC streetcar

The present - but soon to be past.


As it is the longest streetcar-line in North America, and one of the longest in the world (yeah - that's a fact) - the 501 line has already begun being tourist-ified. Check out the 501 food tour for more on that. The TTC is looking for ways to become more relevant, and ways to be taken seriously - well - start respecting yourself a little more. You're doing a great good job at modernizing - but in the process, I hope that we don't try to forget such a rich history.

I'm sure someone is going to tell me - "Hey - don't think bring out the old PCC cars once in a while?" - well, yes, that's true. They bring out one - every couple years...I'm talking about bringing them into regular weekend rotation.

I know that I'm little biased - I love riding the streetcar. Sometimes I go in the middle of the day just as a break from work, and ride it. The sound of the electricity, and the smooth ride is just somewhat relaxing. The way I describe it is the smoothness of the subway, with the sightseeing of the bus. Believe me, if I love it, I'm sure other people do too.

I'll even volunteer to be the first tour guide - that is if I don't get too distracted from the sights and sounds of riding my favourite streetcar...

So, what do you think? Would you tell your visitors to take a ride on the old streetcar if they were in from out of town?

0 thoughts: