The Amsterdam Brewhouse: A new Toronto landmark

A pretty quick turnaround I guess - from writing my summer 'to do' list last week, to crossing one off come Saturday - I'm on a good pace so far.

Anyway, I've been dying to try out the new Amsterdam brewhouse since it was announced; not just because of the location, not just because of the beer, it was a collective excitement. I'd recently tried the new Mill Street Beer Hall - and although a very unique experience, it wasn't a place I KNEW I'd go to again. On top of that, I've been an avid visitor to the 'Three Brewers' location on Yonge and Dundas - it's one of those 'take visitors to Toronto to eat and drink' places - beer brewed in house, tons of beer cocktails - overall, a great beer experience.

So that's kind of what I was expecting at the Brewhouse, nothing more, nothing less. Let me tell you though - it's something WAY more...

The front looks beautiful, but doesn't do it justice...

The decor is great - it feels very Torontonian: murals of streetcars on the wall, historical photos of the old brewery locations, etc. The place is immaculate. The location is obviously amazing - Michelle and I sat on the back patio, and literally felt like we were eating lunch on a dock - it has a very cottage-like vibe to it.
Michelle...but also, you can see how close we are to the water


The bar and mural you see when you walk in


The menu is obviously very beer-lover friendly, every dish recommends a beer choice - and every beer has a history. On top of all the usual Amsterdam offerings - the Brewhouse brews a TON of microbrews in house, that you won't find elsewhere. The price of a sampler (4 x 5oz glasses) is only 8 bucks, which I find better than Mill St., 3 Brewers, and BierMarkt (to name a few). There are so many choices, that it makes getting drunk almost an inevitability. (Not to mention the on-site retail store, so you can re-create the experience when you get home)

The menu comes with a 'Beer Newsletter' that explains
all the beers
The food during our first visit was probably the least impressive - not to say it was terrible - but it was over-priced for what it was. Michelle's chicken flatbread was dry and tasted like leftovers, and my brisket burger was, well....just a burger. If the prices were 3-4 dollars cheaper per dish, I think it'd be more on par with what you get. However, with so many choices, I'm willing to keep trying for all of the good this place does.

My overall impression is that the Amsterdam Brewhouse (in my mind), is a place that all Torontonians should bring out of town guests, and definitely frequent if you're a beer-lover. With tons of room to sit (inside and out), lots to do around it (steps to the water, harbourfront centre, Rogers centre, CN tower, union station, etc.), this is an EASY place to visit. We did, and I already have my next visit planned.

0 thoughts: