Shuttle Launch

Even before moving to Toronto, I've been pushing at work for a company (or building) shuttle between Kipling Station and here. I'll be honest, the thought stemmed somewhat selfishly since I knew that I'd a) be moving to Toronto and b) be commuting, but in the big picture, it's an idea that I know many of the people who work in my building would take advantage of.



At my company alone (where there are about 250 employees in the Mississauga office) there are at least 20 people that I know personally who would use a shuttle service if it were offered here. That's not to mention the rest of the tenants of the TWO 10+ story buildings owned by the property management here at the Sussex Centre.

So I decided to try my luck...

I wrote a targeted email to the management team at Dundee (who own and manage the Sussex Centre corporate buildings) regarding the idea to implement a shuttle service between the subway station and the buildings. I pointed out the benefits - making the building more attractive to businesses, ease of use for employees of the building, and even suggested that it could be a paid service if need be. I got no answer (a little rude right?).

I put it on the back burner for a while, until I came into work and saw that the building had joined 'Smart Commute' Mississauga - an organization working with Metrolinx to create more viable transportation options around Ontario.


Needless to say, I was excited. I went along to the website, and read a bit about what they've done for other buildings and employers and it included things like reduced transit passes, bike to work days, carpooling facilitation and *drumroll* corporate shuttle busses. 


Smart Commute worked with a corporate park in the Don Mills area and with the joint effort of many businesses sharing the costs, they implemented a shuttle service for several employees of these business on a regular Monday-Friday basis. However, at this point, all we have in our building is a bunch of signs that say "More info. coming soon..."

So once again, took it into my own hands, and reached out to the head of Smart Commute Mississauga to see if I could coerce any info regarding a shuttle for my building...and this time, I actually heard something back...

Smart Commute's response to my email...

They then went on to suggest that the process would be hurried if they had an anchor company on board in the building to partner themselves with. I took this as a challenge...

So today marks the first day in the beginning of my quest to get my company on board with the idea. Hopefully by the end of summer I'll have no need for the Mississauga Transit anymore...

Wish me luck - this will show just how much pull I really have...

Cheers, 



0 thoughts: