5 things I want to try in Toronto this Spring (and you should too)

Spring is here - and now that the weather is okay enough to head out and about the city - there are certain things that I've been taking note of - that you might want to check out too:

1. Rock Lobster's Co's 'Lobster Tail Caesar'

No words...


  • I'm not the biggest seafood guy - but I'm a big Caesar guy - and won't turn down good lobster, so this is just one of those crazy things that I think we all need to check out. Rock Lobster got their start at the Toronto Underground Market, and if their food at their new restaurant is anywhere as good as the lobster roll I tried at TUM - we're all in for good things

2. Mill St. Biershnaps (UPDATE: done!)
Mill St.'s new still
  • Recently, Mill St. brewery announced not only their opening of a new style of pub - The Beer Hall - but also that they've broken into the spirits businessm building a still, on site. For now though, they're staying true to their beer roots and distilling what is called Biershnaps - a spirit made from the same ingredients as beer. It sounds delicious, and will be available at the Mill St. store this spring.
3. Goose Island (UPDATE: done!)

  • Another alcoholic one...I don't have a problem I swear. New to the LCBO this spring - BlogTO does a great review here. This beer is well-known in beer lovers handbooks across North America - and it's coming here. It's served in a wine-type bottle, and meant to be enjoyed as such. Check your local flagship LCBO - as this will be considered a specialty.

4. Watch a Leafs playoff game in Maple Leaf Square (UPDATE: done!)

  • Like this isn't on the minds of every Leafs fan...I know that I won't be willing to shell out what it takes to get a playoff ticket to a Leafs game, but the next best (if not better depending on your seats) thing is to watch the game outdoors with hundreds/thousands of Leafs fans on the big screen outside. The Leafs haven't been in the big show since MLS has been around, so it'll be crazy to see how many people turn up to watch.



5. See something other than churches at Doors Open Toronto (UPDATE: done!)

  • A couple years ago when Michelle first introduced me to Doors Open - I loved it - there were some neat buildings, and although I didn't get to see everything I wanted - it was fun. Last year, even better - we saw the Redpath sugar factory, went through a carwash on a streetcar, and saw the old TSX. What we noticed though was a lot of churches on the bill...and this year (they haven't announced it yet), I'm hoping there will be some more variety in the buildings. Bring us some abandoned subway stations, or prisons....there's only so much stained glass I can see...
    Yeah...that's what it's like to be in a streetcar...in a carwash
Any other suggestions?


0 thoughts: