Beer Review: Molson Canadian Wheat


When I saw this at the LCBO - I thought that it could go two ways:
  • Molson would finally have a beer worth drinking
  • Molson would put a stain on the delicious wheat-beer movement out there
I hoped for the best, but prepared for the worst.
******
I'm glad I was prepared...

Nice packaging - for what I imagine was a soft release (I haven't seen any ads, or commercials yet...), enough to make me buy it, that's for sure. 

Pouring it - the beer itself looked good too. On the can - they have 'instructions' on how to pour a wheat beer - normally, unfiltered beers will tell you to gently 'roll' the bottle before serving; in Molson Wheat's case, they tell you to:
       
  1. Pour 2/3 into a glass;
  2. gently swirl what's left (to mix up the residue that was unfiltered);
  3. pour the remaining into the glass.
The problem I have with this approach is that you can't see the beer, and because of the normal Canadian consistency, I ended up with a 1/3 can of foam. 

Anyway, the beer itself?

The taste is terrible - it tastes exactly like normal Molson Canadian - but almost like they threw some cornstarch into it to make it a little cloudy, and taste a little fuller - like other wheat beer. 

Don't buy it...don't try it...don't trust anyone else who says otherwise - they most likely have never drank a 'real' beer. If you are brave - make sure you get something good to wash it down with - there was something in the news this morning that might do that for you!

0 thoughts: