The Leafs, Maple Leaf Square, and why Toronto is THE sports city

Maple Leaf Square - before the game even started - it was backed up
to York Street and people were chanting
Last night, I took in my first Leafs game at Maple Leaf Sqaure (hey, it was one of the five things I wanted to do this spring) - and it was quite the experience. There were easily as many fans outside the ACC as there were inside - and the sound of tens of thousands of people in the streets singing 'The Hockey Song' by Stompin' Tom was surreal to say the least. (BlogTO has some more awesome photos here)

It was awesome to see, and awesome to be there. If they end up going any further than the first round - I'll be back. I would suggest everyone go at least once, but be weary - there's just as many drunk idiots as there are hardcore fans (sometimes they cross over). If I go again, it'll definitely be after a few drinks, so that I can join in on the rowdy.

Anyway - something I've realized while these Leafs have been in the playoffs, is that Toronto - as a city, is not only a, but THE sports city. It is what Toronto lives and dies by - and when we don't have a sports team doing well - we feel like we're all down in the dumps collectively.



Don't you feel it? When the Leafs made the playoffs - we all felt proud (even the non-hockey fans) - and when they lost last night, we all woke up this morning with a feeling like we all got kicked in the collective balls (I saw all your faces on the subway this morning). It doesn't matter what's going on in city council (it's crazy over there), what kind of great stories are coming out of the U.S. (that's crazy - but great- too), or who you might vote for in a (maybe?) upcoming election - the Leafs still make the front page of every newspaper.

The Toronto Sun this morning ("18 Leafs pages...")


So, I ask you - are you part of the collective sports fan? or did you wake up happy this morning...


0 thoughts: