4 places in Toronto that are only cool because they're abandoned

1. The Canada Malting Company Plant
If you've ever been on the waterfront - you've seen the Canada Malting silos - and probably wondered once or twice if they're still in use (in any way) - or what's going on inside. Well, the answer? Nothing at all. Despite being named a heritage site by the City of Toronto, there's been no development whatsoever. The inner workings have undergone dismantling and demolition, but the silos themselves must remain a part of any future development (when someone comes calling). I imagine the cost of this property will be huge, but the ROI will be even bigger. I always thought this would be a great place to build some factory lofts - much like the Tip Top Tailor building - and it looks like it's headed that way.


2. Westwood Theatre
The sad thing, is that I remember seeing movies in this theatre when I was a kid. I don't know what happened - but it is in quite a terrible location. With the emergence of huge theatres, and the fact that this theatre is somewhat inaccessible by anyone but cars crossing from Bloor to Dundas, near Kipling station - I guess I'm not surprised. You can find a good look at the Westwood in its glory days here.

3. Etobicoke Psychiatric Hospital
I used to visit the buildings on this property a lot as a kid - all my dad ever told me was that it's where 'Police Academy' was filmed - which is true. I just didn't know at the time that these were old psychiatric wards (complete with underground tunnels and all). These are just awesome to visit - and the age of the buildings is really cool to see. It's even cooler if you watch Police Academy before going. Humber College has now bought these buildings and property up and has started the process of turning them all into offices and buildings for their Lakeshore campus. (maybe not so cool anymore...)

4. Toronto Zoo Monorail

This whole light rail debate? Pfft - that's so 30 years ago. We already have a monorail for God's sake! Well...had...now all we have is a crumbling track that could take you throughout the Toronto Zoo. I love the zoo, but my complaint has always been that it's SO big - and it's just too much walking if you want to see the whole thing. The monorail more than makes up for this - if it were still in use. The monorail opened in the 70's - and I'm sure people loved it - but after two crashes - that's right....crashes (seriously - people were hurt) - the rail link closed down temporarily, and just never opened back up. The three stations are still on the property, as well as the track, so next time you're at the zoo, pay attention to the large, raised concrete roads.

0 thoughts: